Gamerz Station (Forum)

A place where Gamers unite for help, to find a team, ask request, and more.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the United Gamerz Community Forum. A place to talk about nearly anything, when ever you want..look around and have fun..the site is being updated everyday Smile
Gamerz Station's website has been launched. Check it out here... NOW!

Share | 

Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?

Go down 

Should the game end at the climax?
Yes, it's a game and you have to end it that way.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
No, as a story it needs to have that falling action.
100%
 100% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
SnakeYukin
Admin
Admin

Warning Level :

PostSubject: Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 am

So I read an article on Kotaku that was going over a gaming podcast. In that discussion, they brought up how there are several bad ending to video games which, in turn, brought up that video games end at the climax. Theratically a story is suppose to formula that you start out with the norm and the status que, quickly that shifts to something that breaks that and the protagonist is forced into action (to impress his love or to save the world), this then leads to the raising action, after building that action to a point we reach the pentacle of it or the climax, after that we have the falling action were things begin to calm done, till it eventually gets to the dénouement where everything is either better or worse than when the protagonist started.

Most stories for games don't have this falling action. What happens is the protagonist finally faces against the final boss in the game, which we've been wanting to defeat for the entire game or we have finally just realized s/he was the true culprit behind everything, and we kill them: achieving the story point of the climax. However, after that there isn't any real falling action. Most games have a little cutscene and that's the end or they skip the falling action all together and jump to the dénouement.

While they seem to argue that most games don't have this, I did find myself believing that many of the games I completed do have falling action, but I do know that some of the more popular ones I've played don't have it. So maybe I have those unique cases.

So what do you think?

VA Demo | Podcast (subscribe) | VA Resume | Comics
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://snakeyukin.awardspace.com

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:27 am

Honestly, It really depends on the game type.

For a game like "Gears Of War" that would probably be the best way to end it.
But for games like "Lost Odyssey" the plot is everything, at least to me.

I love to play games like Final Fantasy because I get sucked into a plot. Its like playing a really good book. I remember when I finally beat "lost odyssey" I felt so empty.. and kinda lost inside, for awhile Razz
Back to top Go down
SnakeYukin
Admin
Admin

Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 am

Yeah, certain RPGs seem to have the falling action.

VA Demo | Podcast (subscribe) | VA Resume | Comics
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://snakeyukin.awardspace.com
Rico17Nesquik
Admin
Admin

Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 am

I agree with Twisted it really depends on what the game is..certain games are better that way if then end during the climax cause it makes you want to buy the 2nd (or +) installment of the game
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gamerzstation.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?   

Back to top Go down

Video Game Stories: Should They End at the Climax?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gamerz Station (Forum) :: Entertainment :: Video Games-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com